This is by far one of my favorite types of soup. Whenever I go out to eat at a Thai Restaurant this is the first thing that I order. The creaminess of the coconut milk mixed with the kick of the hot chili sauce makes it perfect for any cool winter night. The chicken can be substituted with shrimp or tofu. I personally like chicken in it.
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. grated ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 2 tsp. red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 T. fish sauce
- 1 T. light brown sugar
- 3 (13.5 oz) cans coconut milk
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. chicken
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (optional, to taste)
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir in ginger, lemon grass, and curry paste for 1 minute until heated. Note: If you can't find a stalk of lemon grass in the store, use 1-2 Tablespoons of lemon grass paste. Most stores carry it in the produce section.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth over mixture, stirring continually.
- Stir in fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro; season with sriracha for added heat.